US Paseo Club Forum - Powered by XMB

Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: amp and subs install
ruggiero06

[*] posted on 10/11/08 at 03:25 PM
amp and subs install

so i installed subs and an amp i had in my garage. nothing special just a kenwood 1000w amp and prebuilt jenson subs and box. its sounds good. just gotta get some dynamat to make it sound better.

by far the hardest part of the installation was running the amp wire from the battery to the trunk. to get the fender off you have to take out the headlight and corner light, part of the bumper, and the wheel well. and to run the wire to the trunk you have to take out the rear seats so u can take off the plastic in the back. total pain in the ass. Since i didnt wanna break any of the plastic pieces i took my time. even with a friend helping it took from 10pm to 5am to do the entire installation.

i used 5ga for the amp power wire, i think 8ga for the ground, and 10ga for the subs wires.

well heres some pics of what it looks like.

trunk view
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/ruggiero/P081011004.jpg

amp attached to the sub box.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/ruggiero/P081011003.jpg

seats folded down view
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/ruggiero/P081011002.jpg

ps it was really bright out this morning when i took the pics, sorry lol
Paseo15psi

Mood: Winter build time!

[*] posted on 10/11/08 at 03:50 PM

One question. Why on Earth would you run the power wire through the fender? That is the worst place to run it. Also, ground should be as big as the power or bigger, but a 1000W Kenwood amp only puts out 680 W RMS if you are lucky, so 8 gauge is fine. Wish you was closer to me, I would have installed it properly in about and hour.

92 Paseo 5efhte Time Attack Build in Progress.
96 Paseo 4efte DIS Daily Driver Build Coming soon!
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
ruggiero06

[*] posted on 10/12/08 at 01:33 PM

in an hour. yea i kinda doubt that. this isnt my first rodeo lol. i been installing systems since i was 14. and running it thru the fender is the BEST way to do it. it may be the worst for u because it takes some time. but for me its the best because the only glimpse of a wire that u can see is about 6 inches of the power wire going from the battery to the fender. and i know that the ground is suppose to be bigger i just didnt have it on me. i plan on replacing it but like u said its only 1000w amp and its probably not even pushing 680rms cuz i turned the settings down a bit on the amp cuz idk about the quality of the amp since its kinda old.
Paseo15psi

[*] posted on 10/12/08 at 02:18 PM

I have been installing professionally for 15 years. My experience includes Best Buy, Circuit City, Custom Sounds, and a Chrysler Dealership. I do more than sell parts, build engines, change oil, etc. Basically I do or have done everything but major body work and stitching my own interior.

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
insaneintenti0n
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10/12/08 at 03:41 PM

yea, it def only takes about an hour to do a system. i've done em during lunch breaks, cookouts at my house, and on every car I've owned.

i'm curious on the fender too... too much metal and moving stuff in the fender to risk cutting the wire and burning it up (have done this first hand.)... firewall is easiest, and usually there's at least ONE gasket somewhere in the firewall already that you can poke the power wire through.

that and you definitely don't have to remove the fender to run a wire through it... specially considering i tapped the power for my mirrors directly from the front turn signals.

actually, the more i think about it... yea, i'll take back alot of that fender stuff i said... the Paseo is easiest from halfway in the driver-side fender, but again, you don't need to remove it, just peel back the bottom splash guard and there's a gasket that puts the power wire into the car above the clutch (on a 5-speed). this works on the '96-'97s anyway.

Paseo15psi

[*] posted on 10/12/08 at 04:15 PM

You should never remove body panels to install stereo equipment. Not too bad in our cars, but try that on a Luxury car and the panel never quite lines up or even worse, you scratch it. All to run a power wire. When you have installed for a living, doing a simple amp and sub is nothing. I can install an entire remote start/keyless entry/alarm system in 5 hours on a powered car and 8 hours if I need to add power locks and windows. This is what I do man. I can install a stereo in a Paseo in about 10 minutes if I have my soldering iron hot and ready before hand or a harness.

ruggiero06

[*] posted on 10/12/08 at 09:06 PM

aw yes i understand what ur saying about panels and stuff...but im not doing this for a living to tons of peoples cars. i want my engine bay to have the least amount of wires. like i said right after ur first post "it may be the worst for u because it takes some time. but for me its the best" its what i needed to be done.

so in short.

for installing equipment for a living where time=money, no removing my panel is not a smart move.

but for hiding the wires and having it set up the way i needed, then yes removing body panel is a smart move.
Paseo15psi

[*] posted on 10/13/08 at 06:18 AM

See, saying it like that makes sense, lol.

Go To Top