US Paseo Club Forum - Powered by XMB

Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Front Speakers
Warren

Mood: More hung over than a cave full of bats...

[*] posted on 9/22/08 at 01:57 PM
Front Speakers

I am trying to replace the front door speakers on a '92. I have read that the factory ones are 4.5 inch speakers. I haven't seen any of those around. I noticed some other members have 4 inch speakers and have read that I could put 5 inch speakers in the door without having to do major mods. Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

Warren
psijoe

[*] posted on 9/22/08 at 02:06 PM

whats going on dude...go for 5.25/5 quarter...thats what Im running and it works great!

I was gonna try and fit 6.5s but didnt work to easily so just went with 5.25

ALL MY WHIPS!!!
http://pixpipeline.com/st/2c5daaaff17a.jpghttp://pixpipeline.com/s/7b398039c35a.jpghttp://pixpipeline.com/st/906078d39da7.jpghttp://pixpipeline.com/s/6abc65cf507a.jpghttp://pixpipeline.com/s/52a6ab1df7bd.jpg
BMW M3............$53,000
Armani Leather Jacket............$700
Rolex Watch............$3,450
The Latspread............priceless
Attraction of the opposite sex.........priceless
Myofibrillar Hypertrophy..........priceless
The Muscle Pump...............priceless
The look on your gf\'s face after cutting season........priceless

There are alot of things money CAN buy, for everything else theres BODYBUILDING.
Paseo15psi

Mood: Winter build time!

[*] posted on 9/22/08 at 03:04 PM

I have a long write up covering this on Tercel Club in the interior and audio section. I would transfer it here, but there isn't a dedicated section for audio.

92 Paseo 5efhte Time Attack Build in Progress.
96 Paseo 4efte DIS Daily Driver Build Coming soon!
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
insaneintenti0n
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9/23/08 at 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paseo15psi
I have a long write up covering this on Tercel Club in the interior and audio section. I would transfer it here, but there isn't a dedicated section for audio.

Quote:
Originally posted on the website
Interior (Moderators: paseo2nr)
Interior Modification/Customization. (Including Audio)

Warren

[*] posted on 9/23/08 at 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I was using the info from the Tercel Club site and it is a great resource. I wasn't sure, though, if the 4T", 5", or 5.25" sizes required an modifications. Crutchfield had some good 5" Polk's that I was eyeing and I wanted to make sure they fit before I jumped on them. (The front speakers that came with the car have no woofer and there are no speakers in the back so it sounds like my Dad's AM only radio from the early '70's).

Thank you both again for all of your help!
Paseo15psi

[*] posted on 9/23/08 at 10:18 AM

I posted all that info on this site too this morning. A 5" will fit if the basket is shallow and the magnet isn't too big. You will have to drill your own holes to make it work and depending on the speakers, you may have to widen the hole a bit to get them flush. Measure the backspacing on the speaker as you can't go too deep in the door without problems.

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
paseo2nr
Super Moderator

Mood: Your mom

[*] posted on 9/24/08 at 12:52 AM

4" is the stock size in front. you can go with 4" Pioneer 3-way speakers and get a nice crisp sound as long as you get some bigger ones for the back seat (I had the convertible, so mine were a different size back there).

5.25" are capable of fitting, but last I checked, there needed to be some modifications made to the door panels, because the stock holes are spaced for 4" drilling. I've seen some situations where people just drill another hole and have a piece of light wood behind it for the screw to go into after attaching the speaker to the door. that's probably the easiest way if you're going to upsize your front doors.

RIP Seo: 1.3.2006
03 Diamond Graphite G35 Coupe 5AT
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e226/nismodev/MountainGsig.gif
Warren

[*] posted on 9/25/08 at 12:52 PM

I ordered some 5" Polk's for the front door panels and some 6.5" Polk's for the back deck. The 5" Polk's don't seem to be very deep but I will have to see how shallow they need to be after taking off the door panel this weekend. I am also going to install some baffles in the back deck to add a little depth for the bass. There are wires up front in the plug for the radio for the rear speakers but there were not speakers in the back deck and I haven't seen any wires yet back there either. (I haven't unsnapped the fasades in the trunk yet so the wires may be stuffed behind those.) Does anyone know if the wires to the back run on the driver's side, passenger side, or through the center?

Also, on the Instate, it is rather loud inside the Paseo. I was considering getting some of that sound deadening spray to use on the floor boards and in the door panels. Is there something better to use?

Thanks again for all the assistance and suggestions.
Paseo15psi

[*] posted on 9/25/08 at 02:00 PM

Wires run on the driver side of the car. Better than Sound Deadening Spray? Sound Deadening Material. I only recommend the spray for the hard to reach areas like the doors and stuff. The front speakers can take about 2.5 inches or so of depth. Also, you don't need to remove the door panel to install speakers in a Paseo. Adding baffles to the rear will decrease the bass because they effectively block some of the frequencies. To get more bass from the rears you will need to do one of three things. Sound deaden the entire trunk. Convert to the flip/flop trunk or gas struts, get rid of the torsion bars, and install some custom box enclosures below the speakers. Or swap to some small free air subs and seal up all the holes in the rear deck. Hope that helps?

Warren

[*] posted on 9/25/08 at 03:35 PM

I think the front speakers have a 2 11/16" mounting depth, so I may be pushing the limit.

Is there a specific material for sound deadening that you can recommend?

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not looking for a booming bass. I would definitely build a sub woofer, maybe even an isobaric sub for a boomer. I know I am not going to get a lot of bass from a 6.5", so I am looking more at a sealed unit bass approach. (Most of the types of music I listen to, Blues, New Grass, Americana, Classic Rock, and Jazz; don't overwork the woofer)

Thanks again for the help.
Paseo15psi

[*] posted on 9/25/08 at 03:54 PM

Hush Mat, Silencer, etc, etc, but Dynamat has always been my favorite.

paseo2nr
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9/25/08 at 07:49 PM

dynamat is heavy-duty, high-quality stuff. remember though, that when you're adding sound deadening, you're also increasing weight and lowering gas mileage, which, let's be honest, is one of the attractions of the paseo.

shadow
Freak

Mood: you are free, therefore choose, that is to say, invent

[*] posted on 9/25/08 at 08:52 PM

how much weight does it really add? 50lbs if that, thats assuming you do the whole car, and do it well. even then its evenly distributed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/shadow_seo/turboturtlexy4.jpghttp://i10.tinypic.com/4kmhto2.gif
suck*squish*bang*blow*
SHEEP! You are all sheep. Baah! Baah!
paseo2nr
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9/26/08 at 12:37 AM

true. then just lose 50 lbs and you're golden!

Warren

[*] posted on 9/26/08 at 06:43 AM

Thanks for the tip on the Dynamat. I will start looking around for some of it (and maybe drop 50# in the process :) ).

I just reread one of the earlier posts and there was a comment that I didn't have to remove the door panels to install the speakers. How does that work? They appear to be a molded to the bottom of the door panel. If I can avoid popping all of those clips in the panel, I am sure I would be a lot better off.

Thanks again for the Dynamat & Hush Mat information.
Paseo15psi

[*] posted on 9/26/08 at 07:45 AM

The grill comes off if I remember correctly. It's been years since I had to change the speakers in my 92. You can kinda see my speaker install in this pic that I have on Toyota Nation. http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/11465/cat/764

shadow
Freak

Mood: you are free, therefore choose, that is to say, invent

[*] posted on 9/26/08 at 04:15 PM

put car on a diet, and youll come out even. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/shadow_seo/turboturtlexy4.jpghttp://i10.tinypic.com/4kmhto2.gif
suck*squish*bang*blow*
SHEEP! You are all sheep. Baah! Baah!
Warren

[*] posted on 9/29/08 at 06:59 AM

Just an update. I installed the radio and four speakers without a hitch on Saturday (Now everyone can share my love of SRV and Buddy Guy...lol). The speakers in the front are accessible through the grill without taking the panel off. There are two clips and two hinges. The unique problem with that is the speaker plug is attached by a grommet is behind the speaker "holder". The speaker holder itself was a perfect fit for 5" speakers with no modifications needed. (BTW - I could have probably taken the speaker holder off and used a shallow 6 - 6.5" in the front with a little bit of modifications)

I did have to cut the back deck for the 6.5" speakers. The areas in the back deck were contoured in the sheet metal so I was glad that I purchased some adapters that fit the uneven space.

A BIG thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions. Y'all definitely made this installation a lot easier and a success!!!

Go To Top